Thursday, March 22, 2007

Retro soul from across the pond


Modern soulman Jamie Lidell was one of the artists I discovered thanks to Alex Patsavas and Grey's Anatomy. Browsing around the Web site of Seattle's KEXP (one of my favorite online radio stations these days), I discovered that you can listen to a live in-studio interview/performance with Lidell here.

M. Myers of KEXP has this to say:

"Blues and Soul Magazine describes British producer/vocalist Jamie Lidell this way. 'Imagine Prince producing Otis Redding at an early '90s warehouse rave.' In this live at KEXP session, Jamie pulls the dance beats back and lays down some stripped-down organic soul over some subtler samples."

Definitely the soulfullest set I've heard in a long time.

For more Lidell, check out his album Multiply or his MySpace page.

Oh, and: Just read in the Washington Post that my personal hero, Alex Patsavas, is starting her own record label. I can't think of a better person to run a label.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'm loving this guy's music. I'm so passing this recommendation on.