Saturday, March 10, 2007

Great Gap ads


The Gap started out selling clothes and records in San Francisco back in the day, and their love of music is still evident today in the many innovative Gap ads that use music and musicians in really interesting ways. Here's a list of some of my faves from the last 10 years or so (in no particular order):

1. Favorite Song - This is the full-length DVD version of the "What's your favorite song?" campaign they did in fall of 2005. Musicians interviewed include John Legend, Joss Stone, Alanis Morissette, Brandon Boyd (of Incubus), Jason Mraz, Michelle Williams, and Keith Urban. Listening to Boyd's triple-tracked vocals on Elvis Costello's "Allison" gives me full-body chills every time. There is nothing I love more than listening to musicians talk about their favorite music, which is why I think this is possibly the best ad EVER.

2. Denim Invasion - Directed by my idol, Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous, Elizabethtown, Jerry Maguire). Love the look on Orlando Bloom's face when they start running.

3. "Give a Little Bit" - The classic Supertramp song gets a new interpretation from Sheryl Crow, India.Arie, Left-Eye Lopez and Liz Phair. SO much talent in 30 seconds.

4. "Dress You Up" - I just love the modern interpretation of Madonna's song, and the fact that they stagger several voices on the melody line.

5. Bike Riding - Ashton Kutcher, Zooey Deschanel, Scarlett Johannsen and Jay Hernandez riding bikes together? I never actually saw this one on the air, but it's GREAT. Excellent use of the song.

6. Old School - I like the simplicity of this one. It's just Nikka Costa a cappella. Powerful and beautiful.

7. "What are you doing New Year's Eve?" - Rufus Wainwright's interpretation of a classic holiday song. Possibly my favorite version of this song.

8. Denim Swings - I never saw this one when it was on the air either, but this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Truly lovely.

9. Back in Black - The recent Audrey Hepburn-meets-AC/DC mash-up. Props for combining such an unlikely combination in such a cool way.

10. Feelin' Groovy and September - There were two Gap ads that I just loved that I can't find on YouTube anywhere. I believe both were from the Fall 2003 ad campaign. The first featured a modern take on Simon and Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy" and the other used the original version of Earth, Wind and Fire's "September." Both featured models wearing clothes and dancing in streets, as I recall. Both were excellent. If anyone finds a link for either of them, post it please!

Update: Two version of the missing "September" ad have finally been tracked down on YouTube. (Thanks Fred!) Check them out below. (9/20/08)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found the two GAP ads on YouTube that you're looking for (GAP - September), and I was in search of the same ad to show a marketing colleague. Here are the URLs:

Version 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IId-jKI4UyU&NR=1

Version 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOx3SiswCE

- Fred