Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Under the Covers

It's an excellent week for interesting cover songs. I don't know what it is, but there's something fascinating about hearing musicians reinterpret songs they've admired.

First and foremost there's the highly-anticipated compilation Guilt by Association where uber-indie rockers cover their guilty pleasures. I am absolutely enthralled with Petra Haden's a capella cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'." Check it out at the album's MySpace page, along with two other tracks. There's a release date of Sept. 4 - I can't wait!

Then check these Yahoo! videos, where pop stars cover other pop stars' pop songs. Some of them are a bit safe, but I particularly enjoyed Natasha Bedingfield's cover of Maroon5's "This Love" - I have always loved the song and I like the stripped-down down of just Bedingfield's jazzy voice and an acoustic guitar.

No comments: