Thursday, August 23, 2007

The best mix tape I ever made


One spring night back when I was in college in Ohio, I got nostalgic for a lazy summer evening on the lake back home, and I sat down and made a mix tape to transport me there musically. It turned out to be the best mix tape I ever made, one I still take out and listen to many times every summer, even though I now live on the lake back home and there are plenty of lazy summer evenings to go around.

But in case anyone else is nostalgic to spend time on a porch swing in the twinkling night of a Wisconsin summer, here is the track listing for the Stardust and Fireflies mix:

Side 1: (Remember, this is a tape)
* Paper Moon by James Taylor (found on the A League of Their Own soundtrack)
* I'm Beginning to See the Light by Ella Fitzgerald
* Crazy Love by Van Morrison
* Summer, Highland Falls (Live) by Billy Joel (from Songs from the Attic)
* The Wind by Cat Stevens
* Dream a Little Dream of Me by Cass Elliot (of the Mamas and the Papas)
* Love's Recovery (Live) by the Indigo Girls (from 1200 Curfews)
* Summer Song by Greg Greenway (local Boston troubadour)
* Warm Love by Van Morrison
* Jim by Billie Holiday
* Pig by Dave Matthews Band
* Two Sleepy People by Art Garfunkel (also on the A League of Their Own sndtk.)

Side 2:
* Nightswimming by R.E.M.
* Bridge Over Troubled Water by Aretha Franklin
* In Another Life by Semisonic
* I Didn't Know What Time It Was by James Taylor (A League of Their Own again)
* Romance in the Dark by Billie Holiday
* Into the Mystic by Van Morrison
* Moonshadow by Cat Stevens
* Mystery by the Indigo Girls
* St. Judy's Comet by Paul Simon
* Someday We'll Be Together by the Supremes
* Pink Moon by Nick Drake

The tape is dated 4.22.00. But trust me, it's actually timeless. Happy summer 2007!

No comments: