Friday, May 18, 2007

'Gold' standard


I think that Americana is the natural counterpoint to all the British pop I've been listening to over the past month. It's no surprise that I suddenly can't get enough Wilco, Patty Griffin, Brandi Carlile and the like. But the real question is how did I go this long without discovering the amazing ear-candy that is Ryan Adams's "Gold"? This album's been around for five years already, and it's a modern classic, but it's taken me until this moment to fall in love with it.

If you're in a similar boat, get thee to a record shop! It's the best classic rock album you've never heard. Too many highlights to mention, but here's a video for the incomparably awesome "Answering Bell."



Seriously, forget the mixed reviews this album got at the time of its release and just get ready to fall in love.

No comments: