Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bring on the hearts and arrows


I finally got hit with the Valentine's Day stick yesterday, which means that I am officially ready to dig out my meager collection of 1960s French pop and modern novelty jazz.

I know it's not very hipster to admit it, but I actually love Valentine's Day. Every year around this time, I go through a little Francophile moment, watching Amelie and reading Simone de Beauvoir's Letters to Nelson Algren (they are so wonderful!). I also have a little arsenal of music I love to listen to while dreaming of a Parisian rendezvous. In the coming posts, I'll share some of my favorites.

First up? Paris Combo. I love their sophomore release Living Room, which combines "cabaret music, gypsy jazz, and avant-garde surrealism," to quote the All Music Guide. Lead singer Belle de Berry's voice is clear and strong and beyond appealing. Listen to two Living Room tracks on the band's MySpace page.

The genre is somewhat unimportant - the sound is pure Valentine's Day, Simone de Beauvoir and all.

No comments: