Saturday, November 29, 2008

Everyone loves a potato monkey!


From the opening notes (in incredible five-part vocal harmony) of Tally Hall's Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, I am completely smitten. Maybe it's nostalgia for my college days, but right now I just can't get enough of the unique blend of a capella music, nerd rock and complex quirky pop (a la XTC) that Tally Hall creates.


Hailing from Ann Arbor, Mich., I suspect the college circuit has greatly informed their music, so I suppose it should be no surprise that they carry the mantle of bands I loved as a co-ed - bands like Ben Folds Five, Barenaked Ladies, and They Might Be Giants. The lyrics are mostly silly ("Two Wuv" is an ode to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, for example,) but the music is exuberant and infectious and full of hooks. And their vocal harmonies are amazingly complex and tight.

Check out their MySpace page for a few tracks from the album, as well as a charmingly ridiculous version of Biz Markie's "Just a Friend." You can also watch episodes of Tally Hall's Internet Show and meet all five members of the band through their random musings and general silliness.

No comments: