Sunday, April 15, 2007

Singular Obsession


Lately, I seem to get an earworm for a new single about once a month. (Last month, it was Belle and Sebastian's "Blues are Still Blue," before that it was Bettye Swann's 1967 gem "Make Me Yours.") So I've decided to implement a new feature called "Singular Obsession," to highlight the earworm of the moment.

April's Singular Obsession: "Annie, Let's Not Wait" by the Guillemots.

I don't know what it is - maybe the incongruity of the peppiness of the song and the general sadness of the lyrics, but it hooks me in and does not let go. By the time they get to the brilliantly understated line, "I love you and that's all you need to know," my heart is a little broken every time and yet, I always want more. The sound is full and lush - in my opinion, it trumps anything the Arcade Fire is doing right now.

Their EP "From the Cliffs" is available here, but their full-length album "Through the Windowpane" is only available as an import, and as such, is rather pricey. Thank goodness I'm going to London next month - I'll have to pick it up there.

In the meantime, enjoy the singular obsession. I can't get it out of my head.

No comments: