Thursday, April 05, 2007

London Calling


I'm having sort of an uninspiring week musically, between trying to figure out my new Creative Zen V Plus - (which is very sleek and cool but a little confusing so far - why can't I import my playlists whole from Windows Media? Why?) - and watching the hilarious but musically dry Borat.

There's also been sort of an unofficial reggae theme running through my week - not my choice, I assure you. But I figured it's better not to fight it, so, anticipating my upcoming trip to London in a month, I dug out the Clash's London Calling. It's the perfect mix of British anarchy-pop and reggae. It's hard to believe it came out the year I was born - it still sounds remarkably edgy and and fresh, in a retro new-wave way (if that makes any sense at all.)

The AllMusic Guide says: "There's punk and reggae, but there's also rockabilly, ska, New Orleans R&B, pop, lounge jazz, and hard rock; and while the record isn't tied together by a specific theme, its eclecticism and anthemic punk function as a rallying call... The result is a stunning statement of purpose and one of the greatest rock & roll albums ever recorded."

It's also one of the 1,001 albums to hear before you die, so... get on it! (Bonus: It's currently $7.97 at Amazon - an excellent deal for 19 tracks on one of the greatest rocks albums of all time.)

No comments: