Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Why TCM is my favorite channel


Okay, so the fact that I love old movies doesn't hurt. And TV commercials give me panic attacks, so the lack of commercials is a big plus, too. But if you really want to know why Turner Classic Movies is my favorite channel, all you have to do is watch their November promo. (Scroll halfway down the page and you'll see the link on the lefthand side.)

Who directed this thing? It's unspeakably awesome. And it's set to the song "Living Again" by Cee-Lo (yes, of Gnarls Barkley fame.) But if I had just heard the song independent of the promo, I don't know that it would have had the same impact, bringing me to a new guiding principle to add to my mission statement: No music exists outside context. Which is a fancy way of saying, the right song at the right time is an extremely powerful thing.

No comments: